A complete application to the FIRST program consists of:
- A completed FIRST Application Form - On the Application form you must identify a research mentor that you have discussed possible research opportunities with either by phone or in person before you submit your application form to the program office for review and processing. Failure to identify a potential research mentor may result in your application not being reviewed. Please click here to view the list of approved research mentors for this program. If you identify a research mentor not on this list, he/she will have to submit a mentor application and be approved by the program director before you can be accepted into the program.
- A copy of your curriculum vita
- A completed copy of the FIRST Personal Data Form
- A letter from you addressed to the program director, Dr. Douglas C. Eaton, that includes: why you are interested in FIRST; your research experience; your interest in teaching; your career plans after fellowship training
- Two letters of reference (under most circumstances one letter should be from your thesis advisor). Letters can be sent in .pdf format via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A letter from your proposed research mentor endorsing your application to the FIRST program.
- A recent photograph of yourself (optional)
We will start accepting applications for the 2017-2018 fiscal year starting January 1, 2017. The deadline to receive all applications for the next recruitment cycle is March 1, 2017. If accepted, the start date for all fellowship recipients is September 1, 2017. Any additional questions regarding the application process should be sent to email@example.com.
NOTE: We are in the process of making this a paperless application. All forms should be completed and submitted online. All other documentation should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you or your references prefer sending in a hard copy, please use the following address: FIRST Program's mailing address.
Based on the initial review of your application, candidates are selected for an in person interview with various members of the FIRST Program's Executive Committee. These members include:
- Program Director, Dr. Douglas C. Eaton, Emory University School of Medicine
- Co-Director for Teaching, Dr. Arri Eisen, Emory College of Arts and Sciences
- Executive Committee Members (3-4) from either Morehouse College, Clark Atlanta University, Spelman College and/or Morehouse School of Medicine
- Select Group of FIRST Fellows
Additionally, if you have not met with your proposed research mentor, interviews times will be set for applicants to meet with the mentor, his lab and other appropriate faculty.
Interviews are 1-2 days and are generally scheduled between March and April each year. Successful candidates will be notified in March if they have been selected for an in person interview.